Some of the topics covered in this article:
- I am in the experience and the host is not fulfilling the agreement
- I have already left the experience and would like to report a host
- I confirmed an experience and the host stopped answering me. What now?
Our goal is to provide the best experience for travelers and hosts. However, we know that some unforeseen events may occur and that's why we have a support team available to help both travelers and hosts whenever the experience is not going as planned.
The root cause of 95% of problems involving hosts and travelers is related to communication. With that in mind, we offer a course in our Academy about Non-Violent Communication to help you improve your communication skills and avoid future problems.
We understand that experiences are subjective, leading to different perspectives. That is why we ask everyone in the community to be open to give and to receive feedback with empathy, always remembering that the purpose of the Worldpackers' experiences is the development of everyone involved. For this reason, we always seek to understand all sides and present opportunities of improvement for future experiences.
But if for any reason, the host does not respect what was previously agreed upon (from the arrival date), you can count on our help to find another host nearby. And as this can take longer than we would like, if necessary we can also refund nights of accommodation in another hostel, in a shared room, previously selected in the same city. The amount and number of nights to be reimbursed depends on the insurance bought at the time of purchase, the options are:
- Standard Insurance: 3 nights accommodation in a shared room or up to USD 49 (included in the Trips plan).
- Extended Insurance: For members who purchased the WP Pack plan on or after April 1, 2022, and WP Trips members who purchased the Extended Insurance separately, Worldpackers reimburses up to 7 nights of accommodation, or up to USD 199.
- Prime Insurance: For members of the WP Pack Plus plan, Worldpackers refunds up to 14 nights of accommodation or up to USD 399.
But before requesting WP Insurance, make sure you have followed all of our recommendations, okay? :)
Here are some tips of best practices to resolve problems related to unfulfilled agreements, communication, or dissatisfaction during a collaborative exchange:
- Communicate clearly and objectively: make sure that all expectations and agreements are clear from the beginning. Communicate with your host in a clear, objective way to avoid misunderstandings and try to resolve the problem in a friendly way, before taking any drastic measures.
- Be empathetic: put yourself in the other person's shoes and try to understand your host's perspective. This will help find fair solutions for both sides.
- Try to resolve the problem through dialogue: be open and transparent about your concerns, about how you feel, and try to reach an agreement with your host.
- Use the platform to report the problem: if the problem cannot be resolved through dialogue, use the platform to report the problem. This will allow the platform's support team to help find a solution.
- Be honest and transparent about your expectations and concerns: this will help avoid future problems and find fair solutions for everyone involved.
- Keep calm: try to remain calm and do not let emotions interfere with problem resolution. Take deep breaths and try to keep an open mind to find a fair solution for everyone.
- Be willing to make concessions: sometimes, it's necessary to give in on some things to achieve a satisfactory outcome.
- Be proactive: be proactive in solving the problem. The faster the problem is resolved, the less negative impact it will have on your collaborative exchange experience.
- Keep a record of all communications: this can be useful if you need to contact the platform's support team.
- Be respectful: this will help maintain a good relationship with your host and the community.
There must always be mutual empathy and flexibility to reach the best solution and, if you and the host decide to end the experience before the agreed-upon date, we suggest that you arrange the best departure date for both and that the host suggest a new departure date on the platform. That way, you can confirm a new experience and the host can plan for your departure.
If necessary, you can activate the Worldpackers Insurance and we will be happy to help you.
Do not hesitate to share how you are feeling about the experience, and remember to always be open to listening, explaining what needs to be known, and aligning both expectations as best as possible!
We are always working to improve the platform and offer incredible experiences for the community, and with this goal, we have a specialized and dedicated team to contact the hosts, in order to promote more and more rewarding experiences that will contribute to the development of each member of our community.
I am in the experience and the host is not fulfilling the agreement
If you're in an experience and, for any reason, the host does not respect what was previously agreed upon (from the date of arrival), Worldpackers will help you find another host nearby so that you can exchange your skills for accommodation. If we are unable to relocate you, Worldpackers will pay for nights of accommodation in another hostel, in a shared room, previously selected in the same city. Click here if you want to know more about the WP Insurance.
To complete the analysis process of WP Insurance as quickly as possible and to help travelers in the best way, we ask that you fill out the WP Insurance Application Form completely and with detailed information about what happened/is happening in your experience, okay? This way, our team can assist you in the best possible way.
I have already left the experience and would like to report a host
First of all, we are very sorry that your experience was not as you expected. :(
As a collaborative platform, Worldpackers strongly believes in experiences as opportunities for learning. With this in mind, we always recommend constant feedback exchange during experiences between travelers and hosts, so that both can develop from this connection promoted on the platform, as we mentioned in this lesson of the course “How to be an outstanding Worldpacker".
Ideally, this exchange should take place while you are at the host. After all, face-to-face conversations are much more effective, right? :)
But since you are no longer in the experience, the review on the platform is the perfect space for you to share about your stay, so you can alert future travelers who consider living this experience there, in addition to being able to leave a private message for the host and for us internally. This message must always follow our Review Policy.
If the problem is more serious, please report it here.
I confirmed an experience and the host stopped answering me. What now?
If the host is not responding after confirming the stay, we suggest that you contact them using the contact methods provided on your experience confirmation voucher: email and telephone. Sometimes hosts don't log on to the platform because their routine at the property is too busy, so it's important to also give them a ring via email or phone to make sure they see your message. :)